Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Promoting the Same-Sex Marriage and LGBT Rights in Japan
We welcome all couples regardless of faith and sexual orientation.
In 2000, Former U.S. President Bill Clinton proclaimed June to be Gay and Lesbian Pride month. Almost a decade later, on June 1st, 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama proclaimed June to be LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) Pride month in the United States. Shunkoin Temple would like honor these decisions and to increase the understanding of gay and lesbian rights by promoting same-sex weddings at our temple during the month of June, 2011.
Our wedding ceremony includes:
1. Chanting of the Heart Stutra (Parajinaparamita).
2. Vows lead by an officiant (priest).
3. Exchange of your own vows and rings.
4. Sake-sharing ritual (san san kudo).
5. Recitation of a special vow. This is vow is written in Japanese and English in certificate-style and is signed by both partners.
6. Proclamation of the marriage.
If you have any questions, please contact us.