Our Zen and mindfulness session focus on teaching you how to use Zen philosophy and meditation practice in your daily lives and to live happier and healthier lives.
Rev. Taka Kawakami is a Zen Buddhist priest and the researcher at Keio Media Design in Keio University. Also, at Mind & Life Institute's ISCS 2016, he lead Zen meditation sessions as a contemplative faculty. He completed Search Inside Yourself's SIY Engaged program in 2016. By using both traditional Zen Buddhism practice and modern mindfulness methods, he can help you to find the ways to live happier and healthier lives.
Imagine the good you could do for yourself and others by learning and practicing Zen philosophy and mindfulness practices.
The fee is 2,500 yen/person for the meditation class and tour (with matcha green tea and Japanese sweets)
*This temple is a private temple. We are open for scheduled meditation classes and staying guests at our guest house only to keep the calm atmosphere for our visitors for Zen meditation class and staying guests.
Zen Mindfulness Class and Dharma Talk (90 Minutes): Traditional Zen Philosophy and Application to Your Everyday Life
Our Zen meditation class (including Dharma talk and temple tour) is offered according to the schedule above. Each class is 90 minutes and lead in English by the deputy head priest, Rev. Taka Kawakami. He explains how to incorporate Zen Buddhist philosophy and meditation into your everyday life by using religious, philosophical, and neuroscientific concepts.
1. 10 minutes instruction of Zen Buddhism and meditation
2. one 20-minute meditation and one 5- minute meditation sessions
3. explanation of gardens and screen paintings at the temple
To attend the class at 9:30 - 11:00 (or occasionally 9:00 - 10:30) , no reservation is required.
However, please make the reservation to attend our 11:00 - 12:30 and 14:00 - 15:30 class at least 5 days in advance. Our 11:00 -12:30 class and 14:00 - 15:30 class is for a group of more than 10 people.
The Fee: 2,500 yen/person
We offer private meditation sessions by special requests (30,000 yen -), as well. Please contact us for more details.
Corporate wellness and training programs are also available.
Now, our new temple lodging facility is available. We just opened our new facility on December 10th, 2012.
There are atatami flooring, own shower room and toilet. Each room can have 2- 3 Japanese futons. Linens and towels are provided.
Shunkoin Temple is also located near the three UNESCO's World Heritage Sites, Kinkakuji Temple (the Golden Pavilion), Ryoanji Temple, and Ninnaji Temple.
We have started taking individual reservations for October, November, and December, 2017 and January and February, 2018. For the group reservation (more than 10 people or university groups), please contact us.
New Prices (since November, 2017) are;
- Single person use: 7,000 yen/person/night + 8 % sales tax
- Two people: 6,000 yen/person/night + 8 % sales tax
- Three people: 5,500 yen/person/night + 8 % sales tax
- Student discount: 500 yen/person off for each night (except 3/20 - 5/10, 7/1 - 7/31, 10/1- 11/30, and 12/25 - 1/5) if you show us your student ID at your check-in
- Returning guest discount: 500 yen/person off for each night (except 3/20 - 5/10, 7/1 - 7/31, 10/1- 11/30, and 12/25 - 1/5)
- University and school group discount: please contact us for the details
Address: 42 Myoshinji-cho, Hanazono, Uko-ku
Tel: 075-462-5488 (Office hour: 8:00 - 20:00)
*Please be careful about the time difference.